Nikon F & Nikkor-S Auto 50mm F1.4 - 14th Nov 1998
This camera is a Nikon F SLR that I inherited as a keepsake from my grandfather. Even today, I treasure it dearly. With its solid, all-metal construction and timeless presence, it feels more like a finely crafted piece of history than simply a camera.
My grandfather passed away more than forty years ago at the young age of 67. At the time, I was only an elementary school student and knew nothing about photography. Although he often talked to me about ISO, aperture settings, and shutter speeds, I was too young to fully understand what he was trying to teach me.
Now, I am approaching sixty years of age myself and have come to appreciate both the technical and artistic aspects of photography. I know that what I wish for can never come true, but if it were possible, I would love nothing more than to spend one more day taking photographs with my grandfather in heaven. I often find myself wishing that he could see the photographs I have taken as an adult.
These photographs were taken in November 1998 at Mitarai Gorge in Nara prefecture with this very camera, the Nikon F & Nikkor-S Auto 50mm F1.4. I still vividly remember showing these images to my grandmother and saying, “These were taken with Grandpa’s camera.” The joyful expression on her face is something I will never forget.
My grandmother later joined my grandfather twelve years ago.
Even now, whenever I take photographs, I find myself speaking to my grandfather in my heart as I press the shutter. This feeling becomes even stronger whenever I am using the camera that he left behind.
To me, the Nikon F is far more than a camera. It is a priceless treasure that continues to connect my grandfather and me across the passage of time.
Camera: Nikon F Photomic FTn at Ken Rockwell
Lens: Nikkor-S Auto 50mm F1.4 at Ken Rockwell
Film: Kodak Gold 100





Comments
Post a Comment